The Furman University Department of Military Science was organized in the fall of 1950 as an Armored Cavalry ROTC Unit. There were 200 cadets enrolled in the program that year, but no commissions were granted until 1952 when 23 cadets were commissioned as second lieutenants of Armor. In 1953 the General Military Science curriculum was adopted, giving the cadet the necessary military background which, when combined with other college work, will lead to a commission in any of the fifteen branches of the Army.This collection contains photographs, pamphlets, and other materials on the history of ROTC at Furman beginning in the 1960s.
Unless noted otherwise, all materials are copyrighted Furman University ROTC under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 3.0 United States License. To view a copy of this license, visit the